Shakeo

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Last nights dinner

   So this recipe comes from my P90X nutrition plan book.

*Red Pepper Soup

  • 2 cups White Wine
  • 1 Onion, finely chopped
  • 5 Roasted Red Peppers (I did 4 Red and 1 Green)
  • 2 cups Celery, chopped (I didn't have celery, so I threw in peas)
  • 1 Tbls Garlic, minced
  • 2 Plum Tomatoes, chopped (I used two roma)
  • 1/4 cup Tomato Paste
  • 2 cups Fat-free Chicken broth, low sodium
  • 2 Tbls dried Thyme, make sure you crush it....I didn't, bad mistake
  • 1/4 tea ground white pepper
  • 1/4 ground cumin
  • dash salt
1. Make sure your peppers are roasted. You can do it yourself. Turn your broiler on high or 500* F and make sure your oven rack is in the highest position. Cut the peppers in half and de-seed them (however you usually dress them up). Place on a cookie sheets so the outside/skin is facing the broiler. DO NOT WALK AWAY! Your oven will start to smoke (just a little, it's not gonna fill your house with smoke) but don't take them out till they are completely black on top. Once they are done remove from the stove place in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap or tin foil and place them in the freezer for 30 mins. Once your timer goes off, pulled the blackened skin off of them (it peels nicely when they are black, other wise the skin won't come off). I then cut them into strips.
2. Heat wine in a large, heavy soup pot over medium heat. Add onion, red peppers, and celery (did not add the pees here). Cook and stir for 3 mins. Stir in garlic. Cook for another 2 mins. Add more wine if necessary
3.Add tomatoes, tomato paste, broth and peas; cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 25 mins.
4. Puree soup in a food processor or blender. Return to pan, add seasonings and heat through.

Mom and I had grilled cheese sandwiches with it. But it'd be good with some sour dough bread or crackers as well.

Mom wasn't a huge fan, but I liked it. It taste a lot like tomato soup but not at the same time. I think I'll make it again.....when red peppers are on sale like they were yesterday. Two for a dollar!

No comments:

Post a Comment